Patrick Henry - "Give me Liberty or Give me Death"
Reflection: Both Paine and Henry have mentioned some of the same issues in their pieces. But Henry is more about patriotism. Henry wants whatever is good for his community and the country that he lives in. On thing that I found interesting is that he feels as though he does not have freedom and feels a sense of slavery is oppressed upon him, which Paine also brought up. “Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts”, says Henry to me this was a really bold statement but it allowed me to see that he was speaking straight from the heart. Furthermore this quotes shows that the people have a dream but something is coming in between them that dream, which also proves that The American dream is there but it is not obtainable by the community.
Dear Diary,
Today a good frined of mine handed me the document with the title "Give me liberty or give me death" which was written by Partick Henry. After reading I began to have so many questions and conerns about the way things are being ran in our socitey. I also came to find myself agreeing with many of the issues that Partick Henry has mentioned. For example the other day a friend and i were talking and the issue of how we left England for a better life but it seems as though things are just as bad. Nothings improving and everyones dreams are sliping away, its like when it seems we're taking a step forward but it seems to be two steps back. Patrick Henry is not the only person that is felt like shouting to the poeople in charge "Give me liberty or gve me death", many men in the community have began to even act on what they feel is right. As for me I have come to realized that the way we're living is not reight and something should be done, but everyone should remember violence is not the answer.
Danielle Rene
Thomas Paine- "Selection from The Crisis No. 1"
Thomas Paine- "Selection from The Crisis No. 1"
http://www.puc.edu/Faculty/Rosemary_Dibben/English11/NewNation/PaineCrisis1.pdf
Reflection: After reading the Crisis written by Thomas Paine it gave me a better understanding of what the “common” people might have felt during this time. Also I began to realize that Thomas Paine was a man who had a strong opinion and beliefs about what was going on in the community that he lived in. For instance he states how “Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER," and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth”, which proves that he does not like the way Britain is running American. Also this goes to show that Britain continues to oppress his people even though they are no longer living there and tries to call it another name. To me Thomas Paine is just fighting for the civil liberties that he thinks he should get and by doing so he put a lot of emotions in to “The Crisis” which shows that all of these issues are something that he feels strongly about. Another part of “The Crisis” that I love is when Thomas Paine expresses that “What signifies it to me, whether he who does it is a king or a common man; my countryman or not my countryman; whether it be done by an individual villain, or an army of them? If we reason to the root of things we shall find no difference; neither can any just cause be assigned why we should punish in the one case and pardon in the other”, which employs that Paine wants everyone to be treat equal and that no matter what your background you should face the same consequences as others.
Dear Diary,
Reflection: After reading the Crisis written by Thomas Paine it gave me a better understanding of what the “common” people might have felt during this time. Also I began to realize that Thomas Paine was a man who had a strong opinion and beliefs about what was going on in the community that he lived in. For instance he states how “Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER," and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth”, which proves that he does not like the way Britain is running American. Also this goes to show that Britain continues to oppress his people even though they are no longer living there and tries to call it another name. To me Thomas Paine is just fighting for the civil liberties that he thinks he should get and by doing so he put a lot of emotions in to “The Crisis” which shows that all of these issues are something that he feels strongly about. Another part of “The Crisis” that I love is when Thomas Paine expresses that “What signifies it to me, whether he who does it is a king or a common man; my countryman or not my countryman; whether it be done by an individual villain, or an army of them? If we reason to the root of things we shall find no difference; neither can any just cause be assigned why we should punish in the one case and pardon in the other”, which employs that Paine wants everyone to be treat equal and that no matter what your background you should face the same consequences as others.
Dear Diary,
After reading Patrick Henry's document "Give me liberty give me death" I began to look further into the people who are standing up for what they believe in when it comes down to what events are currently taken place in our society. As doing so I came aross a selection of "The Crisis" created by Thomas Paine. Who also has some of the same beliefs as Patrick Henry. The big issue that they both seem to cover is ther fact that the are in a new place but they are still being oppressed by the higher authority in England. Which I also feel strongly about and since I have being reading so many documents written by goal driven individuals, which has caused me to began writting about the way things are and how we need a change. But to do so I will continue to read these sort of documents to give me inspration, Thomas Paine has inspired me the most to do so. I guess beacsue of the power and emotion behind his words that have gotten me to feel so passionate by the issue, so we'll see how far we get into seeing some change in America.
Danielle Rene
Essential Question: In a country where the American Dream is "Free" to all, how is community affected when all cannot achieve the "dream"?
After reading what Patrick Henry and Thomnas Paine has to say I came to realize that even though they came to America so that there dream could come true it did not, which lead to many problems through out the community. So the answer is yes, when the dream is not achieved by the ones who strive for it lead to conflict in the community with the way things are ran. But furthermore it leave the citizens wondering if things are really worth the fight.
Personal Extension:
How are you working to live out your American Dream?
What do you do when you hit an obstacle?
My American Dream is to blossom into a beautiful woman, who is lved for many things and is known for showing love to others. Furthermore I will like t be sucessful in everything that I do and to have a loving family as well. To acheive this dream I know that I have to work hard, very hard. I will have to go thorough many years of school and be sucessful during these years. During these years I know that I will be facd with many challenges and to overcome thesei will continue to work hard and push through whatever is set in front of me.

2 comments:
Your personal reflection about the American Dream was beautiful but just check your spelling on some of the words! haha! I loved how you really put feeling and depth into your American Dream. It was most heartfelt!
love
Tina
LOOVE this music - really great!
Good job with diary entries and reflections -
Go Girl!
Micallef
Post a Comment