By: Edward Taylor
Make me, O Lord, thy Spinning Wheele compleat;
Thy Holy Worde my Distaff make for mee.
Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate,
And make my Soule thy hly Spoole to bee.
My Conversation make to be thy Reele,
And reele the yarn thereon spun of thy Wheele.
Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine:
And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills:
Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine.
Thine Ordinances make my Fulling Mills.
Then dy the same in Heavenly Colours Choice,
All pinkt with Varnish't Flowers of Paradise.
Then cloath therewith mine Understanding, Will,
Affections, Judgment, Conscience, Memory;
My Words and Actions, that their shine may fill
My wayes with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparell shall display before yee
That I am Cloathd in Holy robes for glory.

Reflection: After reading over this poem, and analyzing the meaning of the stanzas I came to understand the message. Which to me was that during this time period Taylor was searching for God's grace in order to get him through the obstacles that he face. The most interesting thing about it for me is that its almost like a prayer. Using the spinning wheel to show the process of gaining Gods trust was really interesting to me because it allowed me to believe that if you keep your faith in time things will pay off. Also by Taylor's repetion of the word "make" it leads the reader to believe that he was desparte for the grace of God.
Dear Diary,
Edward Taylor really spoke to me through this piece. During these hard times this poem gave me the inspration to look at my faith in a different way. This move to America was a very difficult one and with the grace of God I feel as though I am able to acommplish anything. Furthermore this religious poetry underlies the unity among all things in God's creation and how to recviev this grace I must go through a transformation. I now have come to apreciate the fact that I have come to America because it has made me have a better relationship with God.
Danielle Rene

1 comment:
yeah i think that they want to become closer to god for protection and closure. why do we go to church and why to we pray to god...for a relationship and for happiness.
Post a Comment