Section from Self-Reliance
If any man consider the present aspects of what is called by distinction society, he will see the need of these ethics. The sinew and heart of man seem to be drawn out, and we are become timorous, desponding whimperers. We are afraid of truth, afraid of fortune, afraid of death, and afraid of each other. Our age yields no great and perfect persons. We want men and women who shall renovate life and our social state, but we see that most natures are insolvent, cannot satisfy their own wants, have an ambition out of all proportion to their practical force, and do lean and beg day and night continually.Our housekeeping is mendicant, our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born.

Reflection: When reading self reliance I began to realize that they way society makes things or the way society is portrayed is how we as people act so we do not chose the way we live but follow the tend. In Self Reliance Emerson makes sure to point out that to imitate someone is denying your individuality or committing suicide. From the selection above the main thing that stuck out to me was how Emerson explains how everyone is made in a different ways and that we all have flaws furthermore we as people fear things that are essential in life no matter your age.
Dear Diary,
I’ve been adapting to life here in America, there has been so many changes. Some changes for the good and some for the bad, living here sometime you began to lose a sense of who you are and follow everyone else. Self Reliance really opened my eyes to see why people are the way they are. It helped me to evaluate my self and see where I stand in this ever-changing world.
-Danielle Rene
----------------
Selection from Nature
First, the simple perception of natural forms is a delight. The influence of the forms and actions in nature, is so needful to man, that, in its lowest functions, it seems to lie on the confines of commodity and beauty. To the body and mind which have been cramped by noxious work or company, nature is medicinal and restores their tone. The tradesman, the attorney comes out of the din and craft of the street, and sees the sky and the woods, and is a man again. In their eternal calm, he finds himself. The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough.

Reflection: After reading piece of Nature by Emerson I went back to this passage which i felt was very true to life today. Life is so moderizeied and most forget that around us personaly I'm not really all that in touch for nature but when I'm around it I appreciate it. Emerson writes nature to let people know that youw should take a step back, get out and enjoy the nature around me. In this selction from nature Emerson shows how people recieve nature in different ways an it can used as an escape from the world. Here Emerson furthers that concpet by using the example that of someone that works all the time and may be very busy nature could be the thing that takes them out of there busy lives to find an inner peace with nature and its beauty so a person could be made whole[man] again.
Dear Diary,
Today I had a new appreciation for nature, form this day forward I am promising myself to take the time out to stop and appreciate the beauty around me. I guess you’re wondering what has gotten into me, oh and don’t worry I’m going to tell you. Today I was at my neighbor’s house when I saw that they were reading something by Emerson. I shared with them how I had read self-reliance and fell in love with it and how I would love to read Nature. So they let me borrow it and after reading I couldn’t wait to get outside in the out doors. Emerson had such a way with words that made you understand what he was talking about. His words were so real that I felt as if I was there with him. Today I can say because of Emerson I have found love in something that is so pure and beautiful, nature.
-Danielle Rene

No comments:
Post a Comment